Saturday, January 26, 2013

Art and Other Things

I have been missing from the blog lately so I wanted to do a quick update of a few things we have been up to over the past month. The whole Christmas season was a blur of fun and chaos. We kept really busy with custom Christmas cards (Yes, we do that! Just contact me at info@alexismattoxdesign.com), local events, shipping packages, shopping and family. We did have nice vacation visiting our families and taking a minute or two to relax. We also got to visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City which was a lot of fun. There is nothing like walking around a room filled with mid-century modern furniture and beautiful Monet paintings. It is very refreshing and I highly recommend it. Other than that we watched movies, ate good food, played in the snow with our nieces and nephews and had a great time.

Another big part of my Christmas break was working on completing my art installation for The Temporary Museum of Permanent Change.  The theme for this really unique outdoor exhibit was Celebration of the Hand you can see pictures of the piece below. It is actually made out of felt pieces that interlock so there is no adhesive holding it together. You can see some stitching on it but that is purely decorative. The piece was installed the beginning of January and will be up until the end of March. It is located on about 175 East and 300 South so if you are downtown be sure to check it out.


Here is the artist statement that explains the meaning behind the art: 
"Using your hands to create is often associated with producing art, crafts or other manmade objects. In contrast, my piece represents how people use their hands to control the natural world around them. Throughout history, people have altered their natural environment to conform to a uniquely human aesthetic of beauty. This work is a representation of how we manipulate the world around us to create order among the organic."


It is bright and bold and it definitely cheers up the streets of downton Salt Lake. I am really pleased with how it turned out and even more pleased that after the huge snowstorm that came just a week after installation it was still hanging on as strong as ever. Hooray!



Have I also mentioned that I have finally joined Instagram? Follow me @alexismattoxdesign to see my latest products, projects and more.



1 comment:

  1. I am taking my kids to see this tomorrow because it is absolutely amazing! Truly it's unbelievably creative, happy, bold yet delicate as each petal fits together so perfectly and without adhesive! You are truly an astounding artist in every way possible! Thank you for sharing your art because it's such a blessing for all to see, touch, and feel, actually to experience, is a better way to describe it. I am sooooo proud of your amazing creativity, complete dedication, continually positive attitude and numerous accomplishments! Basically, you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete